Monday, 8 January 2018

Closed: ODAX February 2018 Iron Condor

Summary

Bad timing again. A few days after opening the position a sudden rise in the index made me adjust the trade on the call side when it reached 30 delta. As there still were six weeks to go before expiration, I also closed the put spread as it had already reached 70% of the maximum possible profit.
DAX 30 on Jan 8th 2018. Source Investing
I did not want to roll the call spread higher with the current low volatility, as the 16 delta is merely 200 points above the current level. The same happens on the put side.

Thursday, 28 December 2017

New position: ODAX February 2018 Iron Condor

Summary

After closing the January position, I opened a new one for the February expiration cycle. It is a regular Iron Condor placed at 12300-11900 on the put side and 13600-14000 on the call side.

DAX 30 on December 28th 2017. Source Investing
I am also reusing the remaining debit call spread placed on 13400-13450 which is a remnant of last month´s position.

Closed: ODAX January 2018 Iron Condor

Summary

After closing the put leg some days ago, today I was able to close the remaining call spread locking around 73% of the premium received.

DAX 30 on Dec 28th 2017. Source Investing.com
I decided not to wait until expiration in order to open a new Iron Condor in February, while reusing the February 13400/13450 debit spread as hedge. Having the two call spreads open at the same time seemed too much risk for me.

Thursday, 14 December 2017

ODAX January 2018 Iron Condor Update: Closed Put Spread

Summary

After 15 days out of 52, without any movement in the DAX index and today´s significant drop in IV, I managed to close the Put leg of the Iron Condor for about 60% of the maximum profit.

DAX 30 on December 14th 2017. Source Investing

I am being quite conservative here, as the put leg was the more vulnerable in this trade, as in case of a drop I would not have any hedge to finance a possible adjustment (unlike the call leg with the February Bull Call Spread) while I still would incur in the loss of the hedging trade.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017

New Position: ODAX January 2018 Iron Condor

Summary

For the first 2018 position and I have decided to go for a January 13600/1400 - 12300/11900 Iron Condor plus a February 13400/13450 Debit Call Spread.

DAX 30 on November 28th 2017. Source Investing
52 days to go and an Implicit Volatility of around 14%. Given the relatively low IV and the underlying bullish trend, which has given me so much pain before, I also opened a Debit Call Spread for the February expiration cycle. This second spread should help me resisting another increase in the underlying and will allow me to postpone any necessary adjustment.

Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Closed: ODAX December 2017 Put Spread

Summary

Today, after less than one week and a 300 points bounce up by the DAX, I was able to close the position locking around 70% of the profit.

DAX 30 on November 21st 2017. Source Investing
I could have waited three more weeks to get those final 32€, but I decided to close the trade and move on in order to reduce risk. Perhaps, in the coming weeks we reach another good condition for another put spread in January, or even an Iron Condor.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017

New position: ODAX Dec 2017 Credit Put Spread

Summary

This morning, after about 5% decline in ten days or so and the IV (Implicit volatility) at 16, I opened a 12200 - 11800 Credit Put Spread aiming for the December expiration cycle.

DAX on November 15th 2017. Source Investing
Only 30 days until expiration and not too much delta, so the credit received is rather small. I´m betting on some sideways action on the former 12800-12900 resistance level.